- Watch wild Moose in their natural habitat - we have seen Moose on every tour since 2002
- Hike in a beautiful forest covered in moss and blueberry bushes
- Enjoy an outdoor evening meal overlooking a secluded forest lake
- Learn more about Moose and other Nordic animals
- Also chance to see Roedeer, Red fox, Badger and for the lucky few even Wolf and Lynx
- Chance to see interesting birds like Crane, Raven, Buzzard and various owls
- Local guide and small groups for a more genuine experience
Meet with your guide at Kolarbyn Ecolodge in the early evening. Travel in our minivan for about 20 minutes to a part of the forest which is perhaps the best area in Sweden for Moose watching. Here we sit down at a fireplace overlooking a pristine lake where birds like Golden Eye and Heron is often spotted. We introduce ourselves to each other and enjoy the beautiful view over the still and pristine lake.
We are now deep in the Swedish pine forest, full of wild animals like Moose, Roedeer, Wild boar, Hares, Foxes, Badgers and even Wolves and Lynxes. Before we set off your guide will go give you some practical guidelines on how you should act to increase your chances to encounter wild animals.
We will then go for a short hike in the surrounding pine forest, a natural forest where the ground is completely covered by moss in all shades of green and scattered by various species of berry bushes. Along the hike your guide will make several stops to teach you the basic need-to-know facts about Moose and answer your questions. Hopefully you will see that Moose are amazing creatures! And also understand that Moose are a vital part of the taiga ecosystem.
After about an hour's walk you return to the campfire. It is time for outdoor dinner! Enjoy smoked lamb wrapped up in flat bread together with organically grown vegetables. Flush it down with a glass of berry juice or a bottle of beer delivered from our local brewery. There'll be organic coffee, tea and Amy's chocolate cookies as a small desert.
Later in the evening we will take our minivan and drive through the forest in search of Moose and other wildlife. We observe the animals from a respectful distance from the car, and whenever we get the chance we get out of the car to get a bit closer and to increase the chances for better photos.
Remember that Moose are shy animals. We never feed them and they don't seem to get used to people.
After dark we conclude the tour and drive back to Kolarbyn Ecolodge. Hopefully you will feel enriched by your new experiences and return home with a better understanding and greater respect for Moose and the other wildlife that you have seen during this evening.
When is best?
All of the season between April and September is usually good for Moose watching. May is a good time with lots of sightings, June and July have the best light conditions, August and all of September is when the bulls have grown out antlers and we often see more Moose bulls during this time because of the approaching rutting season.
The starting and ending time for this tour depends on the season as follows. Please make sure you reach the meeting point in time for the tour as we may not be able to wait for you if you are late.
- 1 April – 15 May: 17 - 22 h
- 16 May - 10 June: 18 - 23 h
- 11 June - 15 July: 18:30 - 23:30 h
- 16 July - 31 July: 18 - 23 h
- 1 Aug - 31 Aug: 17 - 22 h
- 1 Sep - 30 Sep: 16 - 21 h
Location & how to get here
Meet your guide at Kolarbyn Ecolodge, a 5 minute drive from Skinnskatteberg or a 2 hour drive from Stockholm. It is also easy to get here by public transport. Please see the page "How to get here" for more info.
Address: Skärsjön, 73090, Skinnskatteberg
WGS 84: N 59° 48.311′, E 15° 43.718′
WGS 84 decimal: 59.80519, 15.72864
Recommended minimum age is 8 years as we often stay out until late in the evening. Participants should be able to walk in the forest without difficulties. Walking level is easy. We just walk for about an hour at a slow pace in the forest with many stops along the way. If you are not able to walk in the forest you can wait by the campfire and still join the drive to see Moose.
There will be max 7 persons with one guide. With two guides there may be up to 14 participants out during the same evening.
Small groups for a more genuine experience
Bookings and cancellations
Book and pay online at this page. You will receive an instant confirmation by email. All departures are guaranteed.
- Cancellations can be made at no cost up to 7 days from the time of booking. We will provide a 100% refund.
- Cancellations between 8 days from the time of booking and 46 days before arrival will be charged at 25% of the booking’s total amount.
- Cancellations between 45 days and 15 days before arrival will be charged at 75% of the booking’s total amount.
- Cancellations within 14 days of arrival will be charged at 100% of the booking’s total amount.